7 Speed Dating Tips That Will Transfrom Your Love Life
Attending a speed dating event can be daunting. We all go through the dilemma of figuring out what to wear, what to talk about, where to start, how to make it special and more. At CitySwoon we know what it takes to make your date successful. All you’ve got to do is follow our expert speed dating tips to make your date fun and successful.
1. Dress for success: What to wear? This is a common question that people have when they are attending a speed dating event. Being dressed in a comfortable, clean and decent way matters most. Don't overdo it if it is a casual dating evening. For men, wear a suit, only if that is what you feel confident in on a daily basis. Otherwise, a clean outfit of jeans or pants, a nice shirt, and a well-groomed presence matter most. The best way to impress your date, is to be yourself. For women, many tend to overdress to feel confident. Consider the evening venue, how far do you need to walk. Will those stilettos really be comfortable? Perhaps a nice dress or jeans and a nice top. You don't have to dress up and wear your finest jewelry and most expensive dress- you're not there to scare them away, you are there to meet someone realistic.
2. First Impressions count: You are a bit uncomfortable and that is to be expected at the beginning of a speed dating evening. Remember, so is everyone else! When you first meet your date, take a moment to look them in the eyes, shake hands or say hello, and be sure to give them your undivided attention. You never know how important that ‘first impression' really is- you both may be talking about it for years to come and enjoy how good that memory was- make it worth remembering!
3. What questions to ask? So, what should you talk about on your first speed dating date? Above all, be genuine. Ask the other person about easy things- perhaps their job, what kind of pets they may have, where do they like to go for an evening out. This reveals a lot about a person's real interests. Are they boating on the weekends? Perhaps they like going to movies, out to the bar or they are interested in art. All of these simple conversations can easily turn into interests to learn more about each other.
4. Be truthful about yourself. Tell your speed dating partner about your genuine interests and learn more about theirs. Even if you don't share interests, that's ok, you can both move on to someone who suits you better, with a very small investment in honesty.
What not to say when speed dating- is this a real thing? Oh yes! Most people know that certain things are off limits. Drug use, crime and anything that basically says 'I am a felon' is easy enough to not tell at a first date. However, you might be surprised at things that can be heard at a speed dating event. Here are a few things to avoid.
5. Don't talk about your ex. When you meet someone at a speed dating event you don’t ever want to bring up the topic about your ex. It shows you are still not over them & it won’t go down well with your date.
6. Don't talk about how much drinking and partying you get up to with your friends. A man doesn't want to look for a potential mate and hear that she is a drunk! Likewise, a woman doesn't want to hear that you spend all of your free time getting drunk with your buddies and they will come first every night and weekend.
7. Don't brag! You never want to be the ‘bragger', it's unattractive. Talk about the things you are good at and talk about the things you would like to learn more about. We all have an internal balance, share it honestly.
Does speed dating work? It does, in fact statistically it's more successful than online dating! If you speed date with CitySwoon, where you date only people who are matched to you, your odds are increased even further!
Happy Speed Dating! We hope you found our speed dating tips useful.